Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Propagating Roses with Cuttings

I have a love hate relationship with gardening..... I love to see the roses bloom all summer.... I hate it that I forget to water or I leave the sprinkler on and forget it. I'm good at creating a small lake,LOL. Does anyone else do this or am I the only one with this problem ?

Hurricane Ike wrecked havoc with my plants last year. Yep, we still have things to remember from the experience 6 months later.

I wish I had thought to do this earlier but it's time to start with spring here in just a couple of days. It's so easy. I thought I would share it with you. It truly works.

Propagate Your Roses with Cuttings:

Choose healthy, leafy canes that are not too tough and about the diameter of a pencil. Using a sharp knife, cut off the soft tip of the cane and then cut it into 4- to 5-inch pieces. Each piece should have at least 2 nodes and some leaves. Strip off the bottom leaves to expose a node, then plant the cutting in moist soil and keep it in bright shade and high humidity. You can use containers covered with plastic bags, or set them in the ground in the shade and cover them with plastic jugs. You might try both methods. Take as many cuttings as you can to ensure success. Good luck!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I didnt know this would be so easy I have old rose bushes and I will try this.Thanks for sharing!!

Mimi's Rose Chenille Boutique said...

Linda ~ I need your permalink to the Post you will be doing for "Support Our Troops" Day Blog Event on March 21, 2009. You can email the permalink to mimisrosecreations@yahoo.com no later than Friday evening. Thanks so much for participating in this special event!

Oh, I love the pics of your roses, they are beautiful and thanks for the great idea and sharing the info!

Mimi