Thursday, January 1, 2009

I woke up this morning rarin' to go. I had a load of great ideas and things I wanted to do today. First on the list was to make my favorite New Year's Day Soup. I got it all ready and on the stove... Ahhhh, relax and watch the Rose Parade..... 2nd thing to do. Well, God had other plans. I feel asleep watching the parade and woke up with a sore throat. Yuck !! Not the way I wanted the yr. to start on the other hand the soup was ready and oh,how good it taste and feels on this throat.

Thought I would share the recipe. I found this one yr's. ago in my favorite magazine.... Southern Living. Loaded with vit's. and good things for you.
Enjoy.


New Year's Day Soup

Yield
10 cups
Ingredients
1 cup diced smoked lean ham
2 celery ribs, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 (15-ounce) cans black-eyed peas, undrained
2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans low-sodium, fat-free chicken broth
2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans no-salt-added stewed tomatoes, undrained
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups chopped fresh spinach
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Garnish: chopped fresh spinach
Preparation
Saute first 5 ingredients over medium heat in a Dutch oven until vegetables are tender.
Stir in black-eyed peas and next 4 ingredients; bring mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour and 30 minutes. Stir in 1 1/2 cups spinach, parsley, and pepper. Garnish, if desired.

No comments: